class="post-template-default single single-post postid-2549 single-format-standard wp-custom-logo rightsidebar elementor-default elementor-kit-6" itemscope itemtype="">

Kargil veteran meets doctor who saved him 24 yrs back, thanks him – Times of India

CHANDIGARH: Almost 24 years after his close encounter with death, Major D P Singh, a Kargil war veteran, and India’s first blade runner, met Colonel Rajinder Singh, a former anaesthetist in the Indian Army, who had revived him during the Kargil flare-up when he was declared dead on account of injuries caused by a mortar shell.
Overwhelmed with emotion on seeing his saviour, Major Singh wrapped his arms around the colonel, whom he had traced in 2019 after a prolonged search of 20 years, and on Wednesday finally met him in person in the USA. The doctor resides at Castro Valley, Alameda County, California in USA, along with his family.
“I could finally convey my gratitude to Col Rajinder Singh. I was looking for him, when in 2018, the wife of a senior naval officer wrote to me on social media assuring me of help as she was in groups of military doctors. Few days later, she told me that the colonel was in the USA,” the Major told TOI.
In 2019, my friend, Ferose, the key person behind “Grit: The Major Story” -a graphic novel based on my story -met Col Rajinder as he stayed nearby and made me speak with him on a video call,” the Major said.
However, his wish to meet his saviour in person, touch his feet, say “thank you” and hug him was still not fulfilled. “Years later, I could finally seek his blessings in person. God is very kind to me. It was a very emotional moment. When I asked Colone Rajinder sir, what was his mantra in life, he replied, ‘I just do my work by heart and do not bother for anything. So, I sleep peacefully, and rewards automatically follow.’ Simple yet powerful. ‘I do the same sir,’ I said. He added, ‘Maybe that’s why we are connected’.”
During Operation Vijay in 1999, Major Singh was commanding a protective post just 80 metres from the enemy in Akhnoor sector when a mortar shell exploded next to him. The doctors had declared him dead, but he survived because of the efforts of Col Rajinder Singh, an anaesthetist, on July 15, 1999, at Akhnoor military hospital. Later, he lost his right leg to gangrene at Command Hospital, Udhampur, and remained in different military hospitals for almost one year. He still carries around 50 shrapnel in his body.
According to Major D P Singh, after joining his unit in 2000, one of his course mates informed him that he had been declared dead, but one Army doctor revived him. “Thereafter, I was caught up in my service along with my physical and mental struggle with my injuries. In 2007, I was discharged from the Army and post-2008, I decided to look for the doctor who saved me. Later, when the social media platforms became popular, I kept searching for him there,” he added.

Source link

About The Author

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *